Whether you’re launching a new business or rebranding an existing company, you’ll need a new logo. So, how much does logo design cost? Anywhere from free—if you do it yourself—to $10,000+ if you need a bunch of concepts. But, how much should you spend on a logo? That’s an entirely different matter. Let’s weigh your options below!
How Much Does Logo Design Cost?
How much logo design costs depends totally on you. However, quality logo design should cost $5,000–$7,000. Why? Because you know you’re getting quality work without overpaying.
Of course, you can design a logo basically for free if you have the skills to do so. You can pay hundreds to tens of thousands if you hire a big name branding designer. The choice comes down to your branding budget, skills, and time.
The best thing you can do for your business when searching for a logo design agency is to get multiple quotes. That way, you can compare.
For instance, big name branding agencies may charge over $10,000 for logo concepts and final designs. That may not include ownership over raw files either. (Always ask about ownership!) Plus, those agencies may not have any more talented designers than a freelancer you find on LinkedIn.
What we suggest is you split the difference and hire a boutique branding agency like Charm School. We are the Goldilocks of the branding world—not too expensive that you feel logo poor, and not too inexpensive that you worry you’ll get clip art or pirated imagery. You’ll receive the logo of your dreams every time.
Factors that Affect Logo Design
How much logo design costs depends on multiple factors. If you have some design skills, you might be able to design your logo for free using a program like Canva or another paid design program. Otherwise, you’ll need to pay someone to design it for you.
How much logo design costs depends on:
- Expertise. How much expertise the designer has will impact the price you can expect to pay.
- Experience. Like expertise, the longer your designer has been in the game, the more they can charge for their work.
- Process. Do you have a design in mind, or is the designer starting from scratch? It will cost more to conceptualize and design a logo than to tweak an existing design.
- Complexity. How complex is the logo? The more detail, the more it will cost.
- Time. How long will the project take? The more changes you make and the longer the designer needs to take to implement your vision, the more the logo will cost.
- Market Size. Where is the designer based? Hiring a designer in New York will cost more than hiring one in Iowa.
These are just some of the factors to consider related to the pricing of your logo design.
Who to Hire to Design Your Logo
Clearly, who you hire to design your logo matters. You want quality work for the best value. Here are your options for hiring:
- Freelance Designer. Freelance designers work on a per-project basis. They typically charge hourly rates or a flat fee. You can expect to pay $50 to $1,500 for a logo from a freelance designer. However, you’ll have to manage them yourself. Sometimes this is a royal PAIN.
- Design Agency. A design agency specializes in branding and design services. They have a team of designers and typically can turn around a quality project quickly. You probably will pay $5,000–$7,000 for a logo from a design agency.
- In-House. If you need a lot of design work, it may be cost effective to hire an employee. But with that comes benefits and a salary.
Where to Find a Logo Designer
You’re ready to hire a logo designer. Now what? Where do you look? You have multiple options.
Hire a logo designer from:
- Freelance Marketplaces. You can find a freelancer to build your logo from places like Upwork or Fiverr. Browse profiles, view portfolios, and read reviews from former clients to find the right fit. Beware of designers who don’t have reviews or seem to charge way too much or too little. It’s a red flag.
- Design Agencies. Search online or ask your network for recommendations for a design agency for your logo. You may pay a bit more to work with an agency, but you’re much less likely to get ghosted or have to worry about quality than you are with an unknown freelance designer.
- Referrals. Whether you’re looking for a person or an agency, ask your network who they use, especially if you know other business owners with great logos. Word-of-mouth is a great way to hire a designer you’ll be happy with. So are glowing reviews like ours!
Regardless of who you hire, make sure to agree upon a price and process upfront, including the number of revisions you’ll receive. Sign a contract to get it all in writing!
Logo Design Programs
If you decide you want to try designing your logo, there are various programs you can use to do it. If you choose this route, you’ll want to sketch some options before you start. You also should consider the time cost of doing it yourself, especially if your graphic design skills are lacking.
Design programs to consider:
- Adobe Illustrator. This program is standard for graphic designers, but may not be the best choice for someone who doesn’t do a lot of design work.
- Canva. Canva is a great choice for people with limited design skills who want to start with a template. The only limitation to consider is that using a template may mean your logo looks a lot like that of other brands.
- Logo Maker. The free design platform helps you create custom logos. You plug in your business details and logo preferences, then it gives you some logo options. You can customize them from there.
- Designhill. Designhill is an AI logo design maker. You can design your logo there for free, but you have to pay if you want to download it. How much you pay depends on the package you choose. It can cost $20 to $150.
These are just some options you can use to design your logo. They require different levels of design skills. Of course, the less skill you have, the more concern there is about your logo being unique and looking high quality.
Let Charm School Design Your Logo!
If you decide to hire a professional branding agency to design your logo, look no further than Charm School! We offer competitive branding design services and affordable logo design you’ll love. Contact us today to start the design process.